BEYOND BASIC - Advanced Airway Management course
This course, an addition to the BEYOND BASIC series, is designed to give the Intensive Care or Anaesthetics trainee a structured approach to management of the upper airway.
Commonly reported airway events in ICU include difficult and failed intubation and tracheostomy related problems. Themes associated with airway disasters include failure to identify high-risk airways and failure of advanced airway skills and rescue techniques.
The course includes pre-course reading (course manual provided), pre-course MCQs, e-learning and classroom lectures but the main focus will be the skill stations to develop hands on expertise in rescue techniques and decision making in a crisis situation.
CICM approved: Meets the Advanced Airway requirements of the CICM curriculum (2014)
ANZCA approved course - Participants in the ANZCA CPD Program may claim this CICO course as an emergency response activity in their CPD portfolio (ER-15-CICO-004)
Who should attend?
The course is intended for Intensive care Medicine or Anaesthetics trainees with prior anaesthetic experience. It assumes basic upper airway skills. It would also be useful for trainees in Anaesthesia, Medicine and Emergency Medicine. Numbers are strictly limited.
Prior BASIC course completion is essential.
The course will cover:
- Direct and indirect laryngoscopy (video laryngoscopy)
- Laryngeal mask airways
- Double lumen tube intubation
- Bronchoscopy and fibre-optic intubation
- Tracheostomy and cricothyrotomy
- Intubation planning, airway assessment
- Endotracheal tube exchange
- Acute upper airway obstruction
- Dr Ross Freebairn FANZCA, FRCP, FCICM ( Hawke’s Bay, NZ)
- Dr David Brewster FANZCA, FCICM (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia)
- Dr John Copland FANZCA (Frankston, Victoria, Australia)
- Dr Tony Diprose FANZCA (Hawke’s Bay, NZ)
- Dr Allanah Scott FANZCA, (Hawke’s Bay, NZ)