HBDHB - Return Home

Public Health

August 25 Northern Hawke's Bay toxic shellfish warning  lifted READ MORE...

June 29 Health warning continues: Toxic shellfish on Northern Hawke's Bay coastline READ MORE...

June 8 Health Warning Continues: Toxic Shellfish on Northern Hawke's Bay Coastline read more ...

May 26 HEALTH WARNING: Toxic Shellfish on Northern Hawke’s Bay Coastline - Hawke's Bay District Health Board advises that shellfish along the Hawke’s Bay coastline between Whareongaonga (approximately 22 kilometres north of Mahia) and Mohaka River should not be eaten due to dangerous levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxin. read more ...

Safe Swimming

  • to check out what beaches or waterways are safe for swimming visit the Hawke's Bay Regional Council website 
  • At any river or beach you are at - has it rained in the area in the last 3 days? can you see your toes when you stand in the water (up to about mid calf if it's safe to do so)? If it's been raining or you cannot see your feet, it could be better to swim somewhere else.
  • Phone the 0800 B4U Swim line 24 hrs (0800 248 7946) or (06) 878 1368 for info on beaches which had water quality issues at the last Monday monitoring.
  • Signage at locations with regular water quality problems.

Food Safety

  • Food safety is about making sure that food products are safe to eat.  
  • Put simply it means taking care with all aspects of food production and preparation< find out more >

Lead-based paint and lead poisoning

Lead may come from a number of sources. The biggest source of non-occupational exposure to lead is lead-based paint.

Lead-based paint can be found on and around houses built before 1970, and particularly before 1945. If you’ve got an older house, it’s important to be aware of the risks of lead-based paint.

When old paint is removed, the lead in it may settle in dust or soil. If you’re renovating or repainting your house – or if older paint is flaking off – you need to take care to protect yourself and your family from lead poisoning.

Children are especially at risk from lead poisoning. Adults and children with lead poisoning will have either very vague or non-specific symptoms such as:

  • stomach pains
  • difficulty sleeping
  • constipation
  • loss of appetite.

Or they may have no symptoms at all.

Untreated lead poisoning can go on to affect other parts of the body and may in rare cases lead to death.

If you think your house may have been painted with lead-based paint, talk to a health protection officer about what to do. You can find one at your local public health unit.



MOH Lead-poisoning website


Contact the Public Health Unit on 06 834 1815